Friday 4 April 2014

My Technology Conundrum

I'm sitting here waiting, patiently waiting, for word from the kid that she's alive and well and made it to New Zealand along with her bag and all her camera gear.  Okay, I'm lying about the patient part.  I'm restless and wandering aimlessly, eating just about anything that enters my field of vision.  Yeah, that ice cream was in my field of vision -- well it was as soon as I got to the DQ drive-thru.  My attention span is limited so it's best I stay put and not endanger others on the roads.  Any more than I already have.  The last message I had from her was 21 hours ago just before she boarded her second flight in San Francisco.  If all went according to plan she arrived in Christchurch 2 hours ago.  I know everything is okay.  But I have to hear it, gotta read that little message that will beep into my cell phone.  Any time now.

How did people survive in the days of olde, yesteryear, the way back when? In those days when you got on a ship and left for parts unknown.  How did the people who were left behind -- those worried spouses and parents -- get through their everyday lives, waiting for snail mail with news that was outdated before it even arrived?  When I was a kid, my folks would go on holiday leaving us teenagers at home.  They walked out the door and after a designated amount of time they walked back in and that was that.  The postcards they usually sent would arrive well after their return.  I've buggered off on enough trips myself and never thought to call or otherwise keep in touch.

But now, not only are we able to stay in touch, it's absolutely expected.  It's the beauty of, as well as the downside of our technologically advanced world. Which brings me to my conundrum.  I was planning a tech free Camino -- no e-mails, no blogging, no texting.  Just me and my pack and an old-fashioned pen and notebook.  Perhaps a weekly call home to check in.  But now I think I'm gonna have to rethink my plan.  I have an elderly mother whose favourite pastime is worrying.  The kid might not worry but she likes it when I check in with her.  And for the very first time I'm on the receiving end of the kid being far from home and wanting, needing to know that she's okay.

Damn technology.  It's ruined everything.

   

3 comments:

  1. If you wanted a "19th century experience" on the Camino, you should have gone in the 19th century. Step into the 21st century with the rest of us, buy yourself an IPad Mini and off you go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I yearn for a simpler time...but I must admit I have been pricing IPads.

      Delete