Saturday 15 August 2015

The British Invasion

I was born in 1958 so even though I didn't really come of age musically until the 1970's, I consider the 60's my music.  Two of my all time favourite movies are The Big Chill and Pirate Radio, thanks mainly to their soundtracks.  I remember watching The Beatles on Ed Sullivan and they remain my favourite band to this day.  Everyone had their favourite Beatle and George was my guy.  His was the only "celebrity" death I ever cried over.

So when I heard that the little 265 seat theatre in Chemainus was putting on a production of Twist and Shout:  The British Invasion, well there was no way I was not going to that.  I had no idea what to expect.  Maybe a few bands doing covers from the 60's.  Maybe some Beatles, some Dave Clarke Five, a little Kinks and Hollies.  Well let me tell you, The British Invasion was one rocking good time -- Beatles, Stones, Herman's Hermits, Donovan, Petula Clark, Gerry and the Pacemakers, Dave Clarke Five, Dusty Springfield, Lulu, The Kinks, The Zombies, Peter and Gordon, Manfred Mann, The Searchers, The Hollies, Wayne Fontana and the Mindbenders, Animals, Cilla Black, Procul Harum, and The Spencer Davis Group.  What a line up!  (Whoa...just occurred to me...where were The Who?)  Mick Jagger and Donovan were worth the price of admission alone.

This was all presented in the form of a mock TV show a la Ed Sullivan called The Roy Solomon Show, complete with commercials from the 60's. Remember 'you'll wonder where the yellow went, when you brush your teeth with Pepsodent!'? Fake black and white Philco TV screens flashed facts about the songs -- the date and number reached on the Billboard charts and how long it stayed there -- and the host, Roy Solomon, did comedic magic acts and skits between bands.  I haven't had that much fun at the theatre since...well...ever.

Which brings me full circle to the next GREEN JAR ADVENTURE!  Yup, the Green Jar is planning a British invasion of its own.  UK here we come! Spring 2016.  A feast of all things Harry Potter, Downton Abbey and Beatles.  This will be the first time I've traveled anywhere as an adult with someone other than my kid.  I'll be in the company of two troop mates from our police training days, neither of whom I'll have seen for ten years, and twenty before that.  Potential personality conflicts?  I doubt it.

You just know that anyone who sends out Cownton Abbey postcards to commemorate 230 days (give or take) until departure is going to be a fun time.


Besides, she knows all the best places to drink.


3 comments:

  1. A www shucks! What can I say?? You forgot to mention how I also acted as your back up alarm clock in Depot days. If I was getting up and you weren't already up, it was my job to shake that foot of yours as I passed on my way to the shower!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll be expecting the same level of service on our trip!

      Delete