Friday 18 September 2015

Moving On

There really is no good way to segue from my last posts so here's another book catch-up before I move on.

I cannot imagine not being a reader.  I mean, what do people do who don't read?  Waiting in the doctor's office...relaxing with a coffee...instead of TV. Especially people who travel.  Long hours in airports, on planes.  I simply cannot imagine doing any of these things without a book.  Of course the opposite also holds true and I put a lot of things that need doing on the back burner when I've got a really good book on the go.  So here's what I read over the last few weeks...

The Quiet Game - Greg Iles:  Not that it's always necessary but if possible I like to start a series at the beginning, even if each novel can be read as a stand alone.  I like to grow with the character as the author develops him. Iles' protagonist is Penn Cage (cool name), a lawyer turned novelist.  At least Iles is not a former lawyer turned novelist as so many of the "best sellers" are.  I enjoyed this book even though I found it a little long, a little heavy on description, and my biggest beef when reading anyone -- the sexual relationship that gets off the ground way too fast.  But I'll definitely be reading book 2 in the series if for no other reason than I bought it at a book sale and it's been sitting on the shelf for a couple of years.

Go Set A Watchman - Harper Lee:  Poor Harper Lee.  Did she really want to publish this book?  Was she taken advantage of?  Inquiring minds want to know.  This book does nothing for her legacy.  There was no story here although there were a few interesting sections on racism.  I read it out of sheer curiosity, but will now blank it from my mind and remember the characters as they were in To Kill A Mockingbird.

Day Four - Sarah Lotz:  I think I will be adding Lotz to my list of "gotta read" authors.  This one is set on a cruise ship that looses power on day four.  And then bad things start to happen.  I don't want to spoil the fun so I'll leave it at that.  Except to say I could smell the sewage while I was reading.  The ending definitely won't appeal to some -- you "tie it all up with a big bow" readers have been warned.  And if you like to cruise?  Well, this book might make ya think twice about signing up for your next one. 

Before I Wake:  Robert J Wiersema:  Our September book club selection.  I kind of don't know how I feel about this book.  Not being a religious person, I found the symbolism and religious elements a little heavy handed.  I enjoyed the writing style as it told the story from various first person perspectives in short bursts which definitely kept me turning the pages.  I'm really looking forward to the discussion at the end of the month for this one.  Should be lively.  

Angels Flight - Michael Connelly:  Catching up on an early Harry Bosch novel.  Have I said before that IMHO Connelly is the best there is writing in this genre?  Which is a bit surprising to me because I find Bosch to be a pretty arrogant guy, the kind of cop that used to make me feel about an inch high when I was doing the job.

Next up?

There's a new walk afoot.

      

2 comments:

  1. Gotta start by saying I won't be reading Lotz latest..at least not before October 1st. I'm going to read (or perhaps reread) To Kill a Mockingbird, cause I'm sure I was supposed to read it in High School, but sure can't remember it. Perhaps now I'll pass on Harper's latest book.

    And anxiously awaiting news of your "new walk"...nudge nudge, wink wink!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trust me, if you read To Kill A Mockingbird, you would remember it.

      Delete