Tuesday 16 February 2016

Testing The Waters

Okay, I know I live in a rain forest.  I know I live in a valley that makes it difficult for some weather systems to penetrate, but also makes it equally difficult for some to get out.  And normally I like rain. But this rain, this bucketing down day and night rain?  Well, it's all getting a bit much.  But we're west coasters, a little -- or a lot -- of rain isn't going to stop us.  So when we say we're going for a hike because the weatherman says the morning will be dry and the showers won't start until the afternoon and by noon it's painfully obvious that he lied, well, damn it, we just go anyway.  Because hey, it's a perfect opportunity to test drive the waterproof hiking gear.

Luckily rain was a rarity on my Camino.  I can count on one hand how many times I had to haul out the raincoat and cover the pack.  And by the time the coat was on and the pack covered the rain would have stopped and the procedure reversed.  But that was late summer / early fall in Spain -- I'm walking in England in the spring this time.  Not holding out high hopes that we'll get that lucky.


So off we trekked in full wet weather gear for an 11 km round trip hike to the top of a local hydro cut.  At least there was no wind, no sideways rain.  It was coming straight down and didn't let up the entire time, not even under the trees.  And what did we learn? Well, let me just say that waterproof is a little too broad a term.  Maybe it should be waterproof under moderate conditions.  And granted, some of the dampness may have been excessive sweating.  Because even though my raincoat is advertised as waterproof and breathable, it's damn near next to impossible to have it both ways.


Here's how it all stood up...

Eddie Bauer raincoat, layered over Eddie Bauer First Ascent lightweight down jacket and Eddie Bauer quick dry hiking shirt -- damp all the way through.  And they're right -- once down is wet, there's no warmth.  My upper body was the only part that got cold, which probably isn't a good thing considering the location of all the vital organs.

Arc'Teryx water resistant pants layered over Icebreaker merino wool base layer -- soaked through the pants, merino wool damp but still warm.  Even my Exofficio underwear were wet.

Vasque gortex waterproof hiking boots -- soaked through, Wigwam socks were wet when boots came off but didn't feel wet when walking.  Feet stayed warm.

Gaiters -- unused since my cross country skiing days, actually kept the bottom of my pants clean and mostly dry.  They're a keeper.

Basically the only part of me that stayed dry was my Icebreaker merino wool bra.   So I guess I need to fine tune some things.  Or pray for a dry stretch of English weather.  Either way, a little -- or a lot -- of rain won't dampen my excitement for hiking the Cotswolds.

After all, I'm a wet coast girl.


Book Review:  Wow...two good reads in a row, this one non-fiction.  The Devil in the White City by Eric Larson was meticulously and impeccably researched. There was nothing dry in this account of the designing and building of the World's Fair in Chicago in 1893.  Add to this the parallel story of H.H.Holmes, a serial killer operating in the vicinity at the same time.  Fascinating reading on both parts.  The names from history associated with the fair and the inventions that debuted there were astounding.  A real history lesson.  I couldn't have enjoyed this book more.  Highly recommended!

2 comments:

  1. Greg is conspicuous in his absence. He better not be one of those fair weather guys. He'll have to get over that before he arrives in the UK.

    I have a couple of layers that advertise themselves as "water resistant", which is a term that I really don't get. So if your clothes resist water do you still get wet? I'm thinking yes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I opted to leave Greg at home...hadn't done a hill climb in a while and I admit, it was a grunt. He'll go next time.
      Water resistant is a step below waterproof...and we now know what that means. In a light rain you'll be fine...as long as you're not out for prolonged periods. If that happens we'll just have to find a cozy pub to wait it out.

      Delete