Monday 25 August 2014

Pardon My Franish

Well I did it -- finished my Spanish language program.  I did each of the thirty lessons twice and I'm almost half way through reviewing them again.  The good thing is that the review lessons seem soooo easy now; the bad thing is that these thirty lessons are only Level I of IV.  But the library doesn't carry the more advanced CD's and I wasn't going to pay the big bucks to buy them.

So I would say I have a basic rudimentary start -- I can eat and drink, follow directions and greet someone morning, afternoon or night   I can tell time (in 15 minute increments) and count to 999.  I know the 5 W's, although in Spanish they are 3 Q's, 1 D and 1 P.  I can come and go, speak and tell, buy and pay, study and learn, wait, help, and live.  If something is excellent, interesting or too much, I can say that too.  And lots of stuff in between.

In Spanish, V's sound like B's, two LL's sound like Y, H makes no sound at all, and I still can't figure out what they hell they're doing with the letter G. Add an Ai, Ee, or O sound to the end of any word and you're pretty much guaranteed it will make some sort of sense.

And when all else fails, and I don't know the word, I throw in the French equivalent.  Sometimes I don't even remember if the word I'm using is Spanish or French.  I have a new found appreciation for anyone who can speak multiple languages.  How do they keep it all straight in their brain?

Bottom line?  I'm heading to Spain having made the effort to attempt to be able to communicate in the native language and I'm sure I'll pick up some more along the way.  And when that doesn't work?  The universality of smiling and hand gestures goes a long way.

But I will never ever ever simply resort to TALKING LOUDER.


Book Review:  Read this book and I'm pretty sure you will know what it feels like inside the brain of a person suffering Alzheimer's.  Told in first person by 82 year old Maud, the novel goes back and forth from the present as Maud struggles to figure out what happened to her friend, Elizabeth, to the distant past as Maud recollects the disappearance of her sister, Sukey.  Emma Healey paints the most thoroughly believable picture of this disease that I have ever read.  And it broke my heart.  Highly recommended.


2 comments:

  1. Don't you wish you'd paid more attention in Louie's french class? They say it's always easier to learn the second new language then it is that first new language. I still struggle with English!

    BTW...do you know what we celebrate in 4 days?? Well, for me anyway...Aug 29 is my anniversary...28 years ago I joined the Force! I will have a special remembrance of the day when I'm in Cork.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paid more attention is Louie's class?? Hell, I was even dreaming in French when we were in Louie's class. But that was 28 freakin' years ago as you've so aptly pointed out. And there wasn't a big demand for my French skills when I got to Prince George.

      I can't remember if my anniversary date was Aug 28 or 29...I'm thinking the 29th. But I'll split the difference and have a drink at midnight. That should cover both dates.

      Delete