Friday 22 April 2016

That's A Wrap

We finished in Bath by 'taking the waters', a warm drink of water from the King's Springs containing 43 minerals, calcium and sulphate being the main ones.  Supposedly a cure for all that ails you.  Wonder if it has any effect on blisters?



Because now that I'm finished the walk I can admit it -- I had some wicked killer blisters, the small toe on my right foot being the worst.  Most days they were just uncomfortable but Day 5 was sheer pain from the first step of the day.  I lived in fear each night when I took my boots off that they would be infected and blood poisoning was about to set in.  But I left the Compeeds in place, gutted it out, and when I took the Compeeds off back in Leighton Buzzard, the blisters were damn near healed and the pain was gone.  Whew! Dodged that bullet.  

My favourite town along the Way?  Wotton-under-Edge.  Picturesque but it also appeared highly liveable.  There were quainter places but most didn't even have a shop.  Would have liked to walk around it some more but that was Day 5 -- killer blisters day.

My favourite beer?  There were a few vying for the title but I have to give this one to Moles.  I'll never find it again outside the pub in Tormarton so it will have to live as a fond memory.

Favourite pub meal?  The beef and ale pie.  I plan to indulge in a lot more pies before May 11.


Fav accommodation?  The Cleeve Hill House Hotel.  (But the best full English breakfast was at Noades House, a B&B in Tormarton.) We weren't exactly slumming it, that's for sure.


Weirdest thing I saw?  Yarn bombing in Bath.  There must be a lot of crazed knitters living in these parts.  Go figure.



And that's a wrap, for the walk part anyway.  There will be much more to come but now it's reunion weekend with our group from the Camino.  There may not be any survivors.

One final thought...

This statue was outside the Abbey...


In case you can't read the inscription on the plinth, it says 'Water Is Best'.

Those of us who have walked the Cotwold Way beg to differ.






3 comments:

  1. Let me know if that Bath water...and I mean water from Bath...is a cure for the blisters. If so, I'll be making a side trip for a gallon or two when in England!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I can tell you is mine were healed. Coincidence? Perhaps. But as on the Camino, I gave thanks to St. Compeed on a daily basis.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations! You are my walking idol.
    Only in my dreams will I come close to what you have accomplished. Enjoy your reunion and all things British.
    hugs
    t

    ReplyDelete