Wednesday 27 April 2016

The Closest I'll Get...

...to higher education.  Spent the day in the beautiful university city of Oxford. I loved the vibe of the place -- teeming with young people, commuting on bikes, sporting jauntily wrapped scarves; a group in the pub in black robes and white bow ties for whatever exam, function, or performance they had just completed. I could never have been a student there, and not just because of cost or marks.  But I'd have spent my whole time gawking up at the buildings and tripping off curbs.  Just when you think you've seen the best of the architecture, you round a corner to another stunning building.




Or an idyllic scene straight out of the movies...



We spent time at the Ashmolean Museum of Art and Archeology.  Of course I visited the mummies but thought these robes worn by Lawrence of Arabia -- the real guy, not Peter O'Toole -- were pretty damn cool.


I was almost giddy to see this pub where JRR Tolkien and CS Lewis were known to imbibe a pint or two.


Of course we had to stop for a pie...


...and then a beer at The Turf Tavern, likely the oldest pub in Oxford.  Can't beat their slogan...




Hmmm...maybe I could get an education at Oxford.




2 comments:

  1. If you got a Bachelor's Degree in Intoxication on the first half of your trip, we'll be going for a Master's on Part 2!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. and a PHD in pies...

    ReplyDelete